- ½ cup oil (I used Avocado oil, but coconut or canola would also work!)
- 1 cup (or a little less) agave or other liquid sweetener
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 ¼ tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 cups gluten free flour (see mix below)
- ¾ tsp xantham gum
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup haskap berries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (or in my case, some chopped up raw chocolate!)
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 12 hole muffin pan.
Mix together oil and agave. Add applesauce and ginger, and mix again.
In a separate large bowl, combine flour, xantham gum, baking soda, and sea salt.
Add wet ingredients to dry and combine well. Fold in haskap berries and chocolate chips.
Fill muffin containers to the rim with batter.
Bake on middle oven rack for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Rotate after 20 minutes.
Cool in muffin containers for 5 minutes before removing. Cool another 30 minutes on rack before eating!
*Gluten free flour mix:
- 4 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1/3 cups potato starch
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
Recipe adapted from Gingerbread Muffins in The Allergen-Free baker’s Handbook, by Cybele Pascal.